Sunday, September 29, 2013

20130929 - Flower Power - Star Flower

Why not continue a great theme. Here's a pen & ink with watercolor painting that does just that. Flowers can be amazingly difficult, but also wonderful as a painting subject. Nature tends to create some very subtle (at least to our eyes) shading. Of course, if we could see in the spectrum that bees see, we would not think their shading all that subtle! By the way, see the video toward the end of this blog post for more information on that. Painting that subtle shading can be formidable. But I think I'm starting to get the hang of it. So, what do you think?

This particular flower is a rendition of a photograph that my cousin took during her travels in the US Southwest. I'm not certain the type of flower, but it was pretty remarkable. And I decided it would make a lovely painting.

As you can see from the photograph, it's an unusual flower shape. The coloring is in fact very subtle. I decided to punch up the color a bit. I also decided to add a little trick that I've seen .. adding water drops to a painting.

You might be wondering how I did this one. Well, it starts with the pen & ink drawing of the painting. Once again, I used the blue ink to create the outline of the petals and the blue shadow areas. The leaves and water drops I created with black ink. I added the shadows with a water brush and the black ink. Then I added the color onto the flower and the background. By varying the green, I made the leaves feel "right". There is a fairly natural change of colors. Otherwise the outlining of the veins of the leaves would tend to make them appear is if they were a cartoon.

Anyway, I hope you enjoy this painting as much as I enjoyed making it.

Oh, don't forget to watch the science video:


No comments:

Post a Comment