Friday, September 13, 2013

20130913 - Dragonfly Start

Well, my last painting got me thinking about lily pads and ... dragonflies! .. Yup. I started a new painting. And while doing my research, I found a wonderful video to demonstrate how to paint a dragonfly by Judy Bergsma.



So, I am basing this painting on the style she uses in her demonstration. However, I decided that it should be a pen & ink with watercolor painting. I used her template as a guide. As you can see, the dragonfly is in flight above the lily pads.

I've finished the pen & ink drawing. I've done a little bit of shading work. Now to tackle the painting. I think I will use some of the techniques that she presents. However, I will attempt to show a little more of the background through the wings than she has in her painting, which you can see in the print of her painting.

Also as you can see from her print, there is a lot of detail in her painting. More than I am ready to try to tackle. I want to get a simple painting looking "right" before I attempt to tackle a more difficult background.

No comments:

Post a Comment