Tuesday, September 24, 2013

20130924 - Moody once again

Once again I attempted to capture a mood from a picture. The original of Bryce Canyon shows a stark outcrop of mesa from the side of a canyon wall. It's that out thrust in stark contrast that I wanted to try to capture.  I was not terribly worried about the actual detail, as much as that stark out thrust. Thus, the painting does not slavishly try to reproduce the original photography.

Yes, the sky is not right. This was just a sketch and I was playing with it a bit. Additionally, I realize that the colors are not quite the same. Nor was I worried about getting all the details of the scrub land below.

What I do like is the strong contrast between the colors (reds vs. greens .. a complimentary color pair) and values (light orange color versus dark green blue .. both a color compliment and light versus dark value). These contrasts help capture that sense of stark out thrust in the landscape.

No comments:

Post a Comment