Thursday, August 22, 2013

20130822 - Hitting the books

As I start working on the mat for the Ashworth Drugs painting, I need to hit the books. Alto's EZ Mat cutters include (at an extra, but reasonable cost) three different books to help you understand how to create complex mats. I am essentially doing a single mat version of what they call a Photo Insert. And you can see why. It's a great way to frame both a group and individual photograph.


Of course, I hope to insert a poem and my "chop". The poem is a simple Haiku that helps express the ideas behind the painting. My "chop" is the combination of my three initials.

Sometime in the future, I hope to have a "chop" block made from that design. For this painting I will use my calligraphy nibs and create both the sheet for the poem and my chop. I need to finish this sometime during the weekend, since I want to submit this painting to the Fine Arts League of Cary's 11th Annual Senior Show. They will accept up to 55 pieces on a first come, first serve basis. They will accept a maximum of two pieces per person. With a little luck I will submit both the Ashworth Drugs and the Butterfly on Sunflower paintings.

No comments:

Post a Comment