Tuesday, August 20, 2013

20130820 - Sketching on the go

I am trying to develop the habit of always taking my sketchbook with me when I go outside. I can then make little sketches when I am waiting. I can always take a photo with my cellphone. But a sketchbook allows me to capture both my thoughts and the mood of a scene. I've often come back home only to wonder why I thought a photo was interesting.

And if I don't happen to see an interesting scene, I can always do some sketching exercises.

Here's an interesting video showing Cathy Johnson using mixed media sketches to capture various scenes she has seen. While these are good in themselves, even a simple sketch can capture the moment.


Here's the image of her completed work. Her completed sketch is far more impressive than my completed paintings.


No comments:

Post a Comment