Sunday, August 18, 2013

20130817 - Ashworth Drugs

This painting brings back memories for our family. We remember going out on Wednesday at lunch (often during the summer) and getting two hot dogs for the price of one. And don't forget the orangeade!

This was painted on a 9x12 inch Daler Rowney The Langton Prestige 140lb hot press watercolor block . It provides a nice smooth surface, but can handle a lot of water without any problem. I used a watercolor pencil with a ruler to initially sketch in the lines. Then I followed this with the 005 Sakura Pigma Micron pen. But to make this feel as if it was an old picture, I used a Noodler's Ink Ahab Flex Fountain Pen (Vulcan's Coral) filled with Noodler's Manjiro Nakahama Whaleman's Sepia ink.

You might think that using fountain pen ink would not be a good idea, since then run when you add water to them (as I did with the coloring that I added). But this particular Noodler's ink is what they call Eternal. It should withstand water, erasing and even UV light.

You will note that it appears as if I used a brush to paint on the ink to accentuate the value (light and dark) of the painting. In fact, all I did was lay down the ink lines using the pen and then use a cheaper watercolor brush dipped in water to wash the ink into place.

However, once the ink dried (I waited overnight to be certain that it was dry), the ink is now completely waterproof. I added the color washes using M. Graham water color paints without any problems.


I fully intend on getting more and different inks to do further pen & ink paintings.

No comments:

Post a Comment