Sunday, October 6, 2013

20131006 - Next Project

Or as my daughter once said when we were visiting the North Carolina Zoo, "Next Animal!". Like her, I don't like to let grass grow under me. I am off to my next project.

As you probably noted, I tried the watercolor canvas as a surface for watercolor painting. Now, I think I will try making a watercolor canvas with watercolor paper. This approach uses traditional watercolor paper, but stretches it onto canvas stretcher bars. It appears there are several advantages to this approach:

  • The painting appears to be more of a traditional painting on canvas.
  • The watercolor paper is held tight on the stretcher bars (no ripples or warping).
  • Traditional canvas frames can be used, eliminating the need to use mats and glass.
  • Per Joyce Faulkner, the watercolor remains the same color as in the palette.
  • The painting style will remain the same as painting on watercolor paper.

To mount the artwork without glass requires using a UV protecting varnish. I have some that I used on the Honeymoon House painting on the watercolor canvas board. I can use the same spray varnish on the watercolor paper.

Unlike a traditional oil color canvas, the stretcher bars must also be varnished before the watercolor paper is stretched onto it. The reason is that the stretcher bars contain some acid, which must be kept away from the paper. A couple coats of the varnish spray should seal the wood and protect the paper.

I do not know about the claim that the color remains the same. I would think it would lighten a bit, just as it does on a watercolor paper block. There should not be any difference. But Joyce insists that the color remains the same as in the palette. Perhaps having the paper suspended in the air (off a watercolor board) tends to make it behave a little differently. I will test this.

Here is a video by Joyce Faulkner on how to stretch watercolor paper onto canvas stretcher bars and how to use them for painting:


Here is another video by Doris Joa on how to do the same thing. She provides more detail on the step by step process.


No comments:

Post a Comment