Sunday, April 13, 2014

20140413 - Bunny

On this beautiful spring day, I decided to do a fun painting study. My sister-in-law sent me a very cute picture of her bunny in a shower curtain that has pockets (for shampoo and such). Well, as you can see, the subject is about as cute as it gets. This painting is more of a study than the actual / final painting. I hope to work on the final painting this week.


As you can see, the bunny in between the two other stuffed animals is as cute as it gets. But as I noted, this is just a study. If you are interested, here is the original photograph (cropped a bit to center the bunny).


So, let's compare the two and see how I need to improve the final painting.

First, I used a red ink for the pen and ink work. It might actually work better if I use either a black or blue ink. Perhaps blue for the curtain and the stuffed animals. But I will probably use a brown ink for the bunny in the center.

Second, the curtain pockets and folds of the curtain can use a little more depth. That will require using deeper colors a little more judiciously to increase the appearance of depth.

I am pretty pleased with how the two stuffed animals were painted. The rightmost one came out a bit better than the leftmost animal. It needed a little more definition of the shadows to increase the depth. I'll try to get that right next time.

The bunny is almost right. The switch to a brown ink for the pen & ink work will help. As will better definition of the front below the nose/mouth. However, the color needs to be improved. The rabbit's color is a little grayer than what I used. I'll try to get that right the next time around.

So, as you can see, doing a study before doing a larger painting can be a great way to try to figure out how just the right way to capture the subject. Hope you enjoy!

No comments:

Post a Comment