Wednesday, January 8, 2014

20140108 - Mounted Painting

I've been busy for a few days, but continue to try to practice my brush painting daily. I would like to specifically give a "shout out" to Henry Li of Blue Heron Arts. He specifically provides wonderful YouTube videos to help a novice learn more about Chinese Brush Painting.

For example, the following video shows how to mount a chinese brush painting onto backing paper.


Using the technique shown in this video, I mounted the Sun 'n Bamboo painting. I mounted it onto a green mulberry backing paper that has gold flecks in it. As you can see the the smaller detailed pictyure, the green mulberry paper is quite striking.

As you can see for a first attempt, I am pretty pleased with the results. As you might remember, the original painting that I posted was pretty heavily wrinkled and distorted. This is now much smoother.

Here you can see the painting mounted on the mulberry paper. The scanner can not scan the entire image, as the backing paper shows all around the four edges of the painting. I will then mount the backing paper into a traditional frame with a mat. The mat board will keep the painting away from the glass. And the mounting paper will and painting will be sandwiched between the mat and the mounting board.

With no interest at all, other than as a happy customer, I can recommend Blue Heron Arts. If you are interested in Chinese Brush Painting (or Sumi-E), then take a look at Henry's YouTube channel and store.


No comments:

Post a Comment